Monday, April 23, 2012

The Faker Baker


Did you know that it takes very little to be a Faker Baker?  In fact it really only takes a few key recipes and a smokin' hot cookbook to pose as a bit of a pro.

Here's my secret weapon: The Edmonds Cookery Book.

Yes, Kiwis the world over are keeping it quiet, but the Edmonds Cookery Book is a national baking institution which started in 1907 as a marketing tool.  I think they must give this cookbook to all babies when they are born because if you mention it to any Kiwi worth their salt, they will know what you're talking about.  It's truely astonishing how deeply embedded into their culture it is.

And not without good cause.  It's a cookbook which covers a huge range of recipes from savoury dishes to baked goods and sweeties, making complicated recipes simple and guaranteed to work!

My neighbour Sandy came home from the supermarket one day with a copy for me as a must have when we were living in Auckland and I have to say, I have used it constantly ever since.

Right now, I'm making Edmonds Chocolate Chip Cookies, a double batch as we are having Awesome Vintage Style Guru Stacey and her three kids over for afternoon tea.  Between six kids and two adults I reckon we can pack away 20 cookies and a couple of slices of Meredy's delicious butter cake.

My other secret weapon is my tastebuds.  Yes, I like delicious things so when I find a recipe that I love, I hang on to it and make it til it comes out of my ears.  If you know me IRL then you'll be aware that I almost always only bring Elizabeth & Mandy's Chocolate Brownie to parties.

You see?  One recipe that was sent to me and everyone thinks I'm a Baker when really I'm a Faker Baker.

Here it is... the Very Best Chocolate Brownie Recipe you have ever made from Elizabeth & Mandy in New Zealand.

175g butter
1 1/2 cups of white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla essence
3 eggs
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
chocolate

Melt butter, mix in sugar thoroughly and add vanilla essence and eggs.  Don't cream the butter and sugar.  Add the dry ingredients only sifting the cocoa powder.  Pour 2/3 of the mix into a lined tin, laying as much or as little chocolate as you like over the top and covering it with the remaining 1/3 of the brownie mix.  Bake at 175 deg C for 30-40 mins.  Look for mix to be set in the tin.  Take out of the oven and let it cool before devouring!

Note: Chocolate burns if it is not covered by the mix.  I use the smallest chocolate drops you can buy as I find that the chocolate melts or chunks of chocolate sink to the bottom and burn.  Burned chocolate = bad.

Enjoy!





4 comments:

  1. Yes that is my FAVOURITE brownie recipe and it always scores loads of compliments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmmmmmm yummy - much enjoyed by mwah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds so yummy - will have to give that recipe a go one day soon, actually I am trying to stay away from Chocolate so maybe not :)
    Have a great afternoon tea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a baker. Nothing 'faker' about it. You bake. Therefore you are a baker. And I'm sure it tastes yummy.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and hearing what you think about the thoughts that I've recorded on this blog. Thank you to everyone who regularly comments. To those of you who are just popping by, I'd love to hear from you. Please keep it clean and respectful.